FREE Seasonal Flu Vaccinations
Flu season is now upon us and we have now flu appointments readily available to book into from 14th September 2017 onwards, at both Bedwell Medical Centre and Roebuck Surgery.
The FREE Flu vaccination is recommended for all those at risk of flu:-
- Patients aged 65 years of age and over on 31st March 2017 (born on or before 31st March 1953)
- Patients who have Chronic Respiratory Disease; Asthma that requires continuous or repeated use of inhaled or systemic steroids (asthma alone is not an eligible criteria for a flu vaccination), Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Patients who have Chronic Heart Disease; congenital heart disease, hypertension with cardiac complications, chronic heart failure and those individuals requiring regular medication and/or follow-up for ischaemic heart disease
- Patients who have Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD); age stages 3, 4 & 5, kidney failure, nephrotic syndrome or kidney transplantation
- Patients who have Chronic Liver Disease; cirrhosis, biliary artresia or chronic hepatitis
- Patients who have Chronic Neurological Disease; stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA).
- Patients who have Diabetes
- Patients are Immunosuppressed; immunosuppression due to disease or treatment including those undergoing chemotherapy leading to immunosuppression, bone marrow transplant, HIV infection (at all stages), multiple myeloma or genetic disorders affecting the immune system
- Patients with Asplenia or Dysfunction of the Spleen; also includes conditions such as homozygous sickle cell disease and coeliac syndrome
- Patients who are Pregnant (at any stage of pregnancy)
- Patients who are Morbidly Obese; adults (16+) with a BMI >40kg/m2
- Patients who are Carers; those that are in receipt of carer's allowance or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill
We also have a specialised flu clinic set up, the week beginning 23rd October 2017 (school half term), for children aged 2 & 3 ONLY (please see criteria below):-
- Patients who were born between 1st September 2013 and 31st August 2015
If you are one of our eligible patients and have not already booked yours or your child's Flu vaccination appointment, please contact us today.
Childhood Illnesses - Stay Well This Winter
All children experience common illnesses like coughs, colds and chickenpox etc.; they are all part of growing up.
To know what to do, what to look for and where to go, please click on the link below which will take you an informative booklet on childhood illnesses and services available:-
Heatwave Plan for England
Although many of us enjoy the sunshine, as a result of climate change we are increasingly likely to experience extreme summer temperatures that may be harmful to health. For example the temperatures reached in 2003 are like to be a 'normal' summer by 2040 and indeed globally, countries have already experienced record temperatures.
We do not know whether or not there will be severe heat over the course of this summer, but we do want to make sure that everyone takes simple precautions to stay healthy during periods of hot weather and when in the sun.
Please take a look at the various publications developed by the Government by clicking on the link(s) below:-
There are further documents available to read at:-